Palm Pointe’s School School Counseling Mission:
The mission of Palm Pointe’s school counseling department is to provide a developmental and systemic comprehensive program that ensures academics, personal, social and career development and achievement for all students. Our program is proactive and preventative in its focus and enhances the learning process by assisting students in acquiring critical skills for life-long learning and success. It is developed according to professional standards and appropriate models of best practices in the counseling field as an integral part of education.
Florida’s comprehensive school counseling program is designed, implemented and managed by professionally trained and certified specialists who provide a systematic array of curriculum, interventions, and services that include the skills and knowledge of counseling, consultation, coordination, and curriculum. In our role as professional school counselors, we promote student success through a focus on academic achievement, prevention and intervention activities, advocacy and social/personal/emotional and career development.
Palm Pointe’s Professional School Counselor Responsibilities
In partnership with parents, teachers, administrators and a caring community, our school counselors help all students to be successful problem solvers and lifelong learners. The Guidance Department at Palm Pointe is student-centered and is open to all students, parents, and staff. Our professional school counselors provide direct and indirect services that encompass, individual counseling, small group and classroom guidance, assisting with the administration of standardized testing and interpretation of test scores, conducting Problem Solving Intervention Team meetings, new student orientation, consultation, and coordination.
Palm Pointe’s School Counseling Vision:
The students at Palm Pointe Educational Research School are high-achieving learners who graduate well prepared to meet the challenges ahead. All of the students participate in a rigorous curriculum and experience opportunities for personal growth and are prepared for college and future careers. The comprehensive school counseling program at Palm Pointe assists in facilitating a partnership between the school, family and community. The students achieve their fullest potential as life-long learners and productive citizens within our school and community.
How is a professional school counselor like Mr. Potato Head?
- Eyes: Helping to look out for what’s best for kids
- Glasses: Helping to see things a bit more clearly when needed
- Ears: Listens to feelings, problems or whatever a student may need
- Hands and Arms: Lends a helping hand, gives hugs and high-fives
- Hat: Wears several different hats at school
- Mouth: Uses to teach, talk and read with kids, teachers and parents
- Feet/Shoes: Walking in the hallways and in classrooms to visit and check in with kids
- Nose: Helps with taking deep breaths if we are sad, angry or upset
What might a student talk about while in the counseling office?
- feelings about him/herself
- difficulty in making or getting along with friends
- a family problem
- a school problem
- a fear or worry
- a physical concern
- the need for a little tender loving care
What might a student do in the counselor’s office?
- talk about things that are important to children
- use puppets to help express feelings and problems
- talk about feelings
- work on a plan to reach a goal
- read stories that help students learn and understand more about themselves
- go to a safe place to calm down when feeling upset
- play games to learn ways to relate to others